My kids (and husband!) are constantly snacking, so I try to sneak some vegetables into their daily snacks whenever I can. These beetroot crackers are a great way to add some beetroot into your diet. Even if you don’t like the taste, I promise you that the distinct beet taste is disguised by the thyme in these crackers!
Makes about 90 crackers
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2 3/4 cups wholewheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2/3 cup grated beetroot
- 1 cup water
- Coarsely ground sea salt, as needed
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the flour, bicarb and thyme.
- Add the beetroot and mix it through.
- Drizzle in some water and stir it through – you may not need all the water, just keep adding it until a smooth dough forms.
- Grease 2 large baking trays with olive oil or line with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough onto the baking trays until it is quite thin (2-3mm).
- Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut the dough into inch-sized squares.
- Sprinkle with the sea salt as desired.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until crisp.
- Let cool before storing in an airtight container.