I started juicing a few years ago and, at that time, my juicer and I had a love-hate relationship, mostly due to a failed juice fast and the effort it took to make the juice and then clean the juicer.
It wasn’t until I decided to challenge myself to a seven day green juice cleanse that I fell in love with juicing and learned some very important time saving lessons that made the juicing process fun and enjoyable. I now enjoy a healthy juice everyday and juicing is part of my daily routine.
My Five Tips For Pain-free Juicing
The Order of Juicing
This step is key for time saving especially if you are using a cold-press masticating juicer. Because of the corkscrew design, fibery fruits and veggies can clog the juicer. To avoid having to open and clean the juicer in the middle of the process, follow these steps:
- Cut all the ingredients in medium pieces.
- Celery should be cut transversely in half an inch pieces.
- Juice your greens first, tearing small pieces and adding them to the juicer. Add a dense piece of vegetable or fruit like apple, carrot, beet, cucumber etc. after each handful of greens to move things along.
Preparing the juice
After the juice is ready, you may find that there is quite a bit of pulp in the juice. For some of us this could be bothersome and, as such, to make the juice more enjoyable you may choose to strain the juice through a fine mesh strainer.
Increase the volume of the juice by adding about two cups of coconut water to it. This will add an extra layer of nutrition to the juice and provide more hydration to your cells.
The number one concern most of my clients have with juicing is the cleanup process. If you prepare the juice and wait a while before cleaning the juicer the fruit and vegetable fibers left in the juicer begin to dry and stick to the juicer. This makes it very difficult to clean afterward. My recommendation is to wash the juicer right away. At this point, just rinsing the parts with water will be enough. With practice this process takes less than five minutes.
Divide the juice into a few airtight jars and enjoy the juice within two days. The longer you keep the juice, the nutrients and enzymes in it begin to wither and the less nutrition it will contain.
The Golden Rule
My golden rule of juicing and smoothies is the 80-20 rule of 80 percent vegetables to 20 percent fruit. This ensures that the juice contains just the right amount of sweetness and blood sugar levels are kept in check.
The Juice Blue Print Recipe
- Base: Watery vegetables that are great for flushing the kidneys and hydrating the skin. Options include celery, cucumber, zucchini, and tomatoes.
- Sweetness: Apple, guava, pineapple, grapefruit, orange, pear, kiwi, etc.
- Greens: Greens are high in chlorophyll, which alkalinizes the body, works as an internal deodorant, and cleanses the cells. Options include spinach, amaranth greens, kale, cabbage, bok choy, beet greens, etc.
- Herbs & spices: These often contain powerful cleansing properties that help the liver chelate harmful toxins such as heavy metals and eliminate them. Good choices include parsley, cilantro, basil, mint, turmeric, ginger, etc.
- Citrus: The vitamin C content of lemon and lime helps the body effectively absorb iron from the leafy greens.
Following this juicing blueprint by picking a few items from each category will help you design your own balanced and delicious juices. I found these juicing guidelines to be very helpful for many of my clients that have either never juiced or were fed-up with the process.
Benefits of Juicing
The benefits of juicing far outweigh the efforts. I often encourage my clients to keep their day-to-day diet and just add one green juice a day for seven days. For many of them, this is a turning point in their journey to health. This is because juicing regularly provides a wide range of benefits:
- Improves digestion by cleansing the digestive system and keeping us regular
- Improves PMS symptoms such as carb cravings, bloating, and cramps
- Gives you glowing skin
- Reverses graying hair
- Lowers premature ageing
- Heals inflammation
- Improves energy levels
So, with all those benefits far outweighing the hassle, get juicing!