Like the chunky corn salsa (which I usually make at the same time, often for one of our burrito nights), this chunky guacamole with fresh baked pita chips, takes a couple more steps than just mashing a couple of avocados in a bowl and opening a bag of chips, but it’s well worth it, and is definitely a crowd-pleaser!
- 2-3 ripe avocados
- Handful of yellow or red onion diced.
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced. (An interesting note about garlic: the smaller it’s cut, the stronger it will be, so be aware of that if using a press.)
- 3 tablespoons salsa (such as our chunky corn salsa!) In a pinch, just dice some tomatoes.
- Small handful of some diced bell pepper (I use contrasting colors such as orange and yellow)
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Small handful of chopped cilantro
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Enjoy with pita chips (or tortilla chips, or your good friend Chip).
Baked Pita Chips
- 1 package standard size (6 inch?) whole wheat pita
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Paprika and garlic salt to taste
- Cut pitas into triangles (like a pie, sliced three or four ways across).
- Toss in a big mixing bowl with the olive oil and spices until evenly mixed.
- Spread out evenly on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes or until just starting to crisp (they’ll firm up a bit more once you take them out).
- Enjoy with your friend Chip and the Holy Guacamole!