Smoothie bowls have been gaining in popularity for quite some time, and I have to admit that since I started adding toppings to my morning smoothie I haven’t looked back. Ok, so let’s get into the nuts and bolts of a good smoothie bowl. For me the secret is in the consistency. I like mine to have an almost ice cream-like texture, so I always use lots of frozen fruit. The thicker consistency blends better with the toppings.
Get creative with your toppings, but be mindful that nuts and seeds can seriously load up your smoothie with extra calories and fat, so take it easy if you’re concerned about your weight, especially if you’ve included nuts or nut butter in the smoothie mixture itself. With that said, here are some suggestions on how to build the perfect smoothie bowl.
For the smoothie itself you can use any smoothie recipe you like, but here is a basic guide for newbies:
- Start with a liquid base such as coconut water, almond, soy, hemp or other nut milk. Try to choose the unsweetened and unfortified varieties. Or you can just use plain filtered water. Use ½-1 cup depending on how thick you like your smoothie.
- Next, add your greens. About 2 cups, stems removed. I like spinach, kale, chard, collards or beet greens. Use just one type or a combination
- ½-1 whole frozen banana.
- 1 cup Frozen berries or fruit of your choice.
- Any add-ins such as cacao powder, protein powder, spirulina, matcha, oats, nuts or nut butter. (Again, if you’re adding nuts and seeds as toppings, you may want to leave them out to avoid overdoing it.)
- If you like your smoothies sweet, you can add 1 or 2 dates, some stevia, maple syrup, agave or honey (if you’re not vegan).
Blend it up and grab your toppings!
Here are a few suggestions for toppings you might like to try:
- Hemp seeds
- Chia seeds
- Fresh fruit or berries of your choice
- Nuts and seeds
- Flaked or shredded coconut
- Goji berries
Smoothie bowls are easy, healthy and fun to make! Now get in there and have fun!
Latest posts by Michaela Bentley (see all)
- How I Cured Chronic Anxiety Through Meditation and Yoga - January 10, 2016
- 10 Practical Steps to Finding Your Dharma - August 30, 2015
- How to Make Delicious, Healthy Sushi Bowls - July 26, 2015