Since we’re in the middle of a hot, dry summer, and experimenting with an Ayurvedic diet, which promotes making lunch be your main meal and having a light dinner, we’ve been having a lot of salads in the evening.
You know what goes good with a salad? Portobello mushrooms. Plus, they’re super flavorful and easy to cook. So, last night I came up with this portobello, citrus combo. The light citrus tones balance perfectly with the crunchy sprouts, kale, and meaty portobellos. It was easy to make and super yummy. Enjoy.
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup cauliflower, in wee florets
- 1/2 cup grated daikon radish
- 1/2 cup corn (preferably off the cob)
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 cup cooked Basmati rice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp sherry
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the dressing (preferably a bit in advance so it has time to meld)
- Make the salad (everything from the kale to the rice)
- Saute the mushrooms in the coconut oil; add salt and pepper to taste.
- Dress the salad
- Plate the salad and top with mushrooms.