I recently went to a networking event for the local wellness community, and one of the sponsors gave out these cute little jars of beet hummus. I immediately took it home to my husband and asked if he could replicate it. Sure enough the next day he gave it a go and in no time we were enjoying our own super yummy roasted beet hummus! It’s rich and creamy with a sweetness you don’t get from regular hummus. It’s great with veggies or pita chips, or as a spread on sandwiches. We love it and hope you will too! Here is our version.
- 3 medium beets, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium yellow onion cut into large chucks
- 2-4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 cups chick peas (If you have the time to cook them from scratch, do, otherwise you can use canned)
- Juice from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley (optional
- Mix the beets, onion, 2 cloves of garlic, paprika and a drizzle of olive oil in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle with a little sea salt and pepper, transfer to a baking pan, cover with foil, and bake at 375 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until beets pierce easily with a fork.
- When the beets are done, mix them in a food processor with the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- If you’d like to add a little color and flavor, add 1/4 cup of chopped parsley near the end.
Latest posts by Michaela Bentley (see all)
- How I Cured Chronic Anxiety Through Meditation and Yoga - January 10, 2016
- 10 Practical Steps to Finding Your Dharma - August 30, 2015
- How to Make Delicious, Healthy Sushi Bowls - July 26, 2015