This Tofu Scramble is our go-to weekend brunch dish that we have with breakfast pan potatoes. It’s ‘cheesy’ and super yummy! Enjoy!
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 package extra firm organic* tofu , with excess water squeezed out (the more water you squeeze out, the more flavor it will absorb)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- ¾ tsp each of turmeric, cumin, thyme
- 1/2 cup water (use potato water if making the pan-fried potatoes to go with the scramble)
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 cup diced mushroom
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- Bunch of broccoli (per your desire for broccoli), in small florets
- Daiya cheddar, handful or so (optional; adds a gooey, eggy-ness to the dish)
- ½ – 1 bunch spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large metal pan on medium heat
- Add onion and sauté for a minute or two
- Crumble tofu into pan (think what scrambled eggs end up looking like)
- Cook onion and tofu, letting mixture brown a bit and scraping it up as it does so.
- Mix turmeric, cumin, thyme in a small bowl with (potato) water and stir into pan.
- Once everything has color, add yeast and stir for a minute.
- Add mushrooms and stir in. Add more yeast and/or water to maintain moist consistency and mock “cheeziness”
- Stir in carrot and broccoli and cover for a few minutes, occasionally stirring.
- When broccoli is getting green, reduce heat to low, stir in Daiya (if using) and spinach and cover again.
- When spinach is wilted, turn off heat.
- Serve on toast, topped with salsa and slices of avocado (and with our on the side!)
* There is much debate over how much tofu you should be eating (and on a vegan diet, you’re going to meet a lot of tofu!) You should assume that if it’s not organic, then the soy source is likely GMO, so if that concerns you, always buy organic.
Latest posts by Michaela Bentley (see all)
- How I Cured Chronic Anxiety Through Meditation and Yoga - January 10, 2016
- 10 Practical Steps to Finding Your Dharma - August 30, 2015
- How to Make Delicious, Healthy Sushi Bowls - July 26, 2015